Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Lazy 15 Challenge Day 14: Where I'm From



Hey y'all,

Today's challenge was a lot of fun for me! I spent a lot of time working out exactly what I was going to do and HOW I was going to do it, so, as expected, I am a bit late once again. :) At least I'm not days behind on this one. And the last challenge day is Wednesday, so I knew I needed to get this one done ASAP! I have no idea whose mani I'm going to re-create for Wednesday so I've gotta hop to it as soon as I can.

As y'all may know, I am from Texas. And no, I don't have a southern accent. ;)

I have many fond memories of growing up on my dad's property in central Texas, and soaking in the sight of a vast sea of bluebonnet flowers come springtime. Of course, I was smaller then, so it may have seemed like a vast sea at one time, but I see things differently nowadays. I still love looking at bluebonnets in the spring though.

Blubonnets also happen to be the Texas state flower. And what goes better with flowers than butterflies? How about our state butterfly (the monarch butterfly) to go with our state flower? Do you see what I'm getting at here?

Texas




For this mani, I used:

  1. Essie Mademoiselle
  2. Essie Butler Please
  3. Sally Hansen Parrot
  4. Sinful Colors Snow Me White
  5. Milani Yellow Wiz
  6. OPI Clubbing Til Sunrise
  7. Pomegranate Autumnesque
  8. Wet 'n' Wild Black Creme
  9. a sponge 
  10. two makeshift dotting tools
For the bluebonnet nails, I started with a base of Mademoiselle just to make my natural nails look clean and bright. For the stem, I drew a line from slightly above the center of my nail down to the tip using Parrot. (I used the brush in the bottle.) Before adding the blue, I used a paper clip "dotting tool" to add the white petals at the top of the flower, and five or so white dots around and on the stem. I then used a bobby pin "dotting tool" and Butler Please to draw the blue petals over and around the white dots.



For the butterfly wing nail, I followed these tutorials by cutepolish and Nail Art 101. I used Yellow Wiz as a base, and sponged on a gradient of Clubbing Til Sunrise and Autumnesque. I drew all of the black designs with a bobby pin, and dotted on the white with my paper clip.



I topped each nail with a coat of Gelous and a coat of Seche Vite.



Forgive me if this post is a little sloppy. It is 1 AM and I am extremely tired. xD I hope you enjoyed this mani; I certainly do. If anyone would like more info on how I did the bluebonnets (perhaps a tutorial? who knows???), please just let me know! I'd be happy to help. 

Fitzy

EDIT: I almost forgot! This picture was my inspiration for this mani:

Source




14 comments:

  1. This is absolutely amazing and makes me miss summertime. I can't believe how good you are with your makeshift dotting tools too! I can't do that well with my real ones =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah thank you! I try to make good use of what I've got. ;)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the butterfly nail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg be still my Texas heart! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD I was secretly hoping to appeal to your Texas heart. <3

      Delete
  4. From one Texan to another, howdy. I found your blog by reading a nail polish company's Facebook page and your nails are amazing. Welcome to the polish world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! This is awesome! Love it! Like the bluebonnet nails.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I think your nail art is incredible ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I think your nail art is incredible ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.