Sunday, December 9, 2012

Swatch & Review: Darling Diva Polish Dook at Me

Hey all you people of various gender identifications,

Today I have another polish from Darling Diva, and this time it's something a little different!

Y'all know how much I love holos... Much like Wes of Polish Me Manly, I think I'd have to say I'm kind of a holo whore. O: That's right! Anything holo, I want to get my hands on.

Sometimes I wish I could make every polish holo...

Do you know where this is going yet? ;P

I'll spare you the guessing games. The polish I'm reviewing today is a scattered/linear holographic top coat!

These things are great because you can add a holographic finish to pretty much any polish. The one I was sent from Darling Diva is called Dook at Me, and besides just being a spectacular holo top coat, it's also full of iridescent square glitter, which adds a very pretty and unique effect.

I swatched Dook at Me over three different polishes, so you can get a good idea of the different effects it has based on what kind of base color you use! First up is Sheswai Stoked.

Dook at Me

One coat over Sheswai Stoked


Over a color like this, the holographic effect appears to be more subtle, but it is definitely beautiful. It actually looked quite delicate to me, and the blue iridescent glitter complemented the base color really well.

Here's a bit of a blurry shot so you can see more holo:


I also took this next picture so y'all could see the glitter squares more clearly. (The holo is almost completely dull in this type of lighting)


My second polish choice was Sally Hansen In a Flurry. Which I realize I haven't done a post for, so you get a special piccie of this shimmery black sexiness.


And now, with added rainbows:




Say it with me: daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang

The holo really comes alive over black, but for me, the silvery color of Dook at Me didn't blend in very well with the black base. Almost like the two were fighting for dominance. Still, that's a lot of rainbow! o:

More shots! (Plus blurries)



Lastly--and I think this one is my fave--we have Essie Penny Talk.





For Penny Talk, I actually decided to layer two coats of Dook at Me instead of just one, and I love the result.

Just look at that holo!

So much rainbow. I can't even.



Okay, I think that's all for me. :3 The only thing left is a bottle shot.


This one gets an A+ in my book. Excellent formula, even with the glitter I had no problems. And the holo payoff is sweeeeeeeeeeeet. It's not a tightly packed linear effect, but it's not super scattered either, like maybe an OPI designer series polish. It reminds me of the Milani 3D holos, which are pretty scattered, but still linear.

I think the only thing I didn't like so much was how it looked layered over dark polish. But that's just a matter of preference! I'll probably end up layering it over everything anyway. ;)

Be sure to check out Darling Diva Polish on Etsy if you haven't already. She has a truly awesome selection! ^.^

Fitzy

(Product was provided for my honest review)

4 comments:

  1. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!
    So much gorgeousness. I'm kinda lost for words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh this is value for money! EVerything holo for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see swatches of this! I'd seen the bottle pictures, but wanted to see swatches to help me decide whether I wanted this or not. I might just get Dreamy because I'm not a fan of glitter, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! These manis are stunning! They all look elegant and classy. Perfect for any accasion including this coming holiday season.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.