Thursday, November 15, 2012

Transgender Day of Remembrance

Source

Hello everyone,

Today's post will be on a very serious note.

November 20th is Transgender Day of Remembrance, a day to remember and honor those who have lost their lives due to transphobic violence, hate, and discrimination. This is an issue that is very close to my heart, and I figured since I have seen so many people shed light on various causes in their own blogs, why not share something that is important to me?

The media sensationalizes and disrespects transgender hate crime victims after they have been killed, by identifying them with the wrong name and pronouns and writing about them as if they were sexually confused and mentally ill. More often than not, though, transphobic hate crimes are largely ignored.

I have a few things to share from the Transgender Day of Remembrance website.

"The Transgender Day of Remembrance serves several purposes. 

It raises public awareness of hate crimes against transgender people, an action that current media doesn’t perform. 

Day of Remembrance publicly mourns and honors the lives of our brothers and sisters who might otherwise be forgotten. Through the vigil, we express love and respect for our people in the face of national indifference and hatred. 

Day of Remembrance reminds non-transgender people that we are their sons, daughters, parents, friends and lovers. Day of Remembrance gives our allies a chance to step forward with us and stand in vigil, memorializing those of us who’ve died by anti-transgender violence."

My friends at the university I attend have set aside today to observe TDoR, but on the 20th I will be doing something special on my blog. If you would like to join me, please let me know either in the comments, or by e-mail/twitter/facebook/whatever you like, and I can set up an inlinkz widget and organize a TDoR post.

Please take a moment to look over this list from the TDoR website. This is the list of names of people who are being remembered this year on November 20th. Please note that the list is incomplete and constantly being updated.


Thank you for reading.

Fitzy

16 comments:

  1. I'm appalled by the amount of hatred and ignorance that surrounds us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly hate violence in any form, and I've red the names on the list and started feeling sick about how these people died in such tremendous violent ways!
    I support this cause, and I want to thank you for letting me know there was a day to raise awareness about these terrible crimes. When are we going to understand the value of life is greater than anything? I agree with Vedrana Brankovic, we are surrounded by ignorance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to read through the entire list and I couldn't. It makes me sick to see what happened to each and every person on that list.

      Delete
  3. I would very much like to join you for the 20th. My email is nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com.

    Thanks so much for helping to shed light on this wonderful cause. It makes me tear up just thinking that people could be so cruel. Maybe with some awareness and education, if we bloggers can help at least one person understand how harmful bullying really can be! Please contact me about the post on the 20th if you get some time. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your interest! I posted all of the details on facebook right here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=245269008933882&set=a.196200950507355.41104.195346877259429&type=1

      Delete
  4. I want in on this too! I'm on facebook/twitter/blogger/shfarivar@gmail.com

    One of the best courses I ever took in my undergraduate was Introduction to Gender Studies, which was an eye-opening introduction to issues of gender oppression. It made me seek out resources and movies that dealt with it (Boys Don't Cry, the story of Brandon Teena was TRAGIC =/) and I get very protective when people start using ignorant language as a result. Also I had a couple friends who were victims of hurtful comments and internalized stigmas that prevented them from being truly happy about being themselves because of what other people (read: idiots) would do/think/feel.

    Sorry for the story hour! Please can I join too? <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I look forward to seeing what you have to share. :)

      Delete
  5. I would love to participate in this with you. No one should be treated any differently just because they are Transgender. Please include me, oblassa@gmail.com or http://alittlepolish.blogspot.com or facebook.com/alittlepolish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! All the details are on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=245269008933882&set=a.196200950507355.41104.195346877259429&type=1

      Delete
  6. I'm in. I've known so many people that are affected by this issue (One of my husband's closest friends identifies as Transgender and it angers me how many people are just cruel and ignorant about it). It saddens and angers me at the same time that we live in a world where we have made so much progress yet we still see so much hate, violence and discrimination against people based simply on how they identify themselves (which is really none of our damned business anyway!). Let me know what we're doing and I'm there with bells on! If we can educate just one person, then we've made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your interest! I posted all of the details on facebook right here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=245269008933882&set=a.196200950507355.41104.195346877259429&type=1

      Delete
  7. A lovely idea Fitzy. Look forward to seeing what you all do xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't understand how you can do something like the things written on that website to another human being and yet *they* are the 'sick' ones? Appaling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully people will begin to understand sooner rather than later.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.