Friday, November 16, 2012

The Lazy 15 Challenge Day 7: "Feminine" Nails


Oh boy, here we go.

*deep breath*

So I seriously had a hard time coming up with ANYTHING to do for today simply because the word "feminine" had me sitting here grumbling angrily to myself about gender roles and expectations in society.

Don't worry, I'ma try not to go completely Gender Studies 101 on y'all's asses.

But seriously, these ideals of masculinity and femininity that we have in our society make absolutely no sense to me. Certain things are considered masculine or feminine simply because of the social construct that is gender as a whole and the way it dominates everything we see and do.

In case you haven't thought of this before, just ask yourself why. Why is pink considered feminine? Lace, butterflies, flowers and hearts? Why do we consider sensitivity and emotional openness to be feminine, and why are these things associated with weakness?

I'm the kind of angry queer kid who believes that gender is one of those things that deserves to be shaken up a bit--No, scratch that. It deserves to be completely shaken up.

And all of this because of a fucking manicure.

Anyway, coming back to manicures, that's actually a great example. Nail polish is usually associated with femininity. Painting nails is considered a "girly" thing to do, so it seems like sort of a silly idea to specifically try to create a "feminine" manicure for this challenge. In the words of Cuti-CLUE-less: "I've never seen a manicure and thought 'jaysus that looks awful masculine.'"

The fact that I paint my nails is already deemed feminine by most people, because I'm a guy. So that's "weird" and "feminine." And then for some people, just the fact that my nails are so long and shaped a certain way is feminine. 

And me? I say it's all bollocks. I don't care. I think nails look amazing, and I paint mine and care for them a certain way because I like the way it looks and the way it makes me feel.

I hope at least a few of you got through this whole rant.

I did actually paint my nails with SOMETHING for this challenge day, but I figured it didn't really matter what I chose. So I just picked a random untried polish from my stash. (I almost went with black, but I wanted y'all to have something more interesting to look at)


"Feminine" Nails.





Sonia Kashuk Smoke and Mirrors. Perfect silver foil. Two coats, no top coat, no problem! I think silver brings out the redness in my skin, though...

That's all I've got, folks.

Fitzy





23 comments:

  1. Your nails look fantastic and I agree, gender rigidity needs to be LOOSENED! Did you know pink actually used to be considered to STRONG for females, and was the colour for baby boys? And blue was considered soft and used on girls. It's almost ALL social construct, and even the tiny bit that might be biology isn't set in stone because hey look! transgender people! Who are a societal construct too! Other cultures have a natural place for them (eg Two-Spirit). It's just this culture that doesn't. Fuck that shit. =P #GDST101

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the rant!! It's great to see this discussion being brought up in all places!
    Awesome nails, btw! Regardless of being masculine, feminine, or unisex! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post needs to be shared, shared and re-shared!! My cousins tonight were playing with those magnetic dolls that you stick different clothes on and my girl cousin was playing with the boy and my boy cousin was playing with the girl - no one cared - adults need to learn from kids!! This color is so pretty and please can I have your nails!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are great! Imposing gender roles on them is just nonsense, and even they know it is!

      Delete
  4. brilliant! only found you yesterday, and i've read the whole blog! just a thought, in victorian england, pink was a colour for boys! love your attitude, and love your nails xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at least you don't have to think, and we have to come up with something that is sweet to a fault :DDDD But really, you live in the most tolerant country in the world, and people have problems with guys painting nails. Imagine what it's like in Russia, because we're, like, always 150 years behind the rest of the world))
    Awesome nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;D yes I made it easier on myself... haha

      Delete
  6. Good rant! And I grown and care for and paint my nails for exactly the same reasons as you. Nothing wrong with it at all and it certainly shouldn't be something that blokes are limited from enjoying if it happens to be their thing, just like it shouldn't be incumbent on all chicks to give a rats arse about their nails. My husband is a total gay straight male. Most people think he is gay on meeting him. I think as you get older (we're both early 40s), if at one time you did care you learn not to give a rats and just be who you are, not who others may expect. I guess being gay tends to force you to that point airliner in life but I think most with any brains and insight be there eventually. Again, great rant:) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; being outside the gender and sexuality majority often forces people to be more adamant and "in your face" about who they are... It is nice not giving a rat's ass about what others think sometimes. :)

      Delete
  7. Well said! 90% of society needs to refocus on some crap that's actually important instead of raising hell because - OH MY GOD! THAT MAN IS WEARING NAIL POLISH!! What has this world come to? How about saying OH MY GOD! THAT INNOCENT, HELPLESS CHILD IS GOING HUNGRY OR BEING ABUSED! Let's just focus on that for a while!

    Now you've got me all worked up Fitzy! I think that no matter what you feel about a person's sexuality, things like this shouldn't factor into it! In my house my husband fills more of the "woman" roles by cleaning and cooking. I am more prone to fix the plumbing and wire the electricals. People just need to chill the $#@! out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, glad I got you all worked up! ;P There are people dying in this world because of their differences; the world needs to move on already and just let us be us!

      Delete
  8. Great post and i love your honestly and Mani :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone needs to add "masculine" theme to a challenge for a real one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;P I think I'd just end up ranting about that too! I can never leave well enough alone.

      Delete
  10. If I didn't already have butter London's 'Diamond Geezer' I'd definitely pick this baby up - looks gorgeous! OH and these types of foil metallic shades work GREAT for gradient tips! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.