Monday, November 12, 2012

The Lazy 15 Challenge Day 5: My nails are in SPACE

Hey y'all!

Today's mani is one of those weird ones that almost looks better on camera than it does in person...

Before today, I was thinking "man, I got this. I am SO experienced with galaxy nails (not really) there's no way I can mess up :D" And then I messed up.

My first attempt was a total fail (and I tried to film it, too), so I had to do my nails over in the hopes that I would have something to post today! This mani was a little rushed because I'm really short on time. I'm writing this post 45 minutes before I have to be in class!

Anyway I actually think my final result is not bad...

Okay, okay, it's GOOD. I did a good job and I like it!

Galaxy/Space/Nebula Nails





I tried to get a little creative with my light source so I could get all of that glitter to shine. Man did I use a lot of glitter or what? 

Lemme see if I can list off everything I used.

  • Sonia Kashuk: Starry Night
  • Essie: Blanc
  • Milani: Dude Blue
  • Milani: Digital
  • Color Club: Sparkle and Soar
  • Sally Hansen: Purple Pulse
  • Sinful Colors: Hazard
  • Sinful Colors: Hottie
  • China Glaze: Skyscraper
  • Essie: Set in Stones
  • American Classics Gelous
  • Essie: Good to Go
Damn, that's a lot! I didn't realize I used so many. Dx

Anyway I think that's all I can say about this. If you have any questions about how I did it, just let me know in the comments! I gotta wrap this up and go to school. :P

Oi, now that I'm home and not pressed for time I can actually explain these a bit!

My intention was for this mani to look like one swirling galaxy on my middle finger that spreads out to my index and ring fingers, and only *just* touches my pinkie nail. I think I mostly succeeded in getting the look I wanted. The more I practice with galaxy nails the more I feel I can actually be specific about what I'm trying to paint on my nails.

To make these I started with my sparkly black base, sponged on white to make the basic shape of my "galaxy" and then sponged on my cremes and shimmers in a way that contrasting colors would pop out next to each other. It's difficult to explain because I did a lot of little dabs of color here and there, and some big spots of blue and orange to highlight the swirls of the galaxy.

After that I dabbed on some more black wherever I thought it got covered up too much, and a little more white to really solidify my galaxy. Then I added glitter!

I dabbed Skyscraper over the dark outer edges of my shapes, and then randomly dabbed on Hottie and Set in Stones. I topped the whole thing with a generous coat of Gelous and a coat of Essie Good to Go. I think Good to Go is my favorite top coat right now. The smell of SV is just too much for me lately! >.<

Okay, now I'm done with this post for reals. Be sure to check out everyone else's Lazy 15 manis!


-Fitzy





18 comments:

  1. These came out great - though I'd love to see that nail fail you mentioned ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I deleted the video as soon as I realized my nails weren't going where I wanted them to. :P

      Delete
  2. They look great, I'm sure even an astronomer would be impressed =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I love all the colours together! :)

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I kept reaching for more and more colors... I'm glad they all worked together. >.<

      Delete
  4. Oh I love it! I still have yet to try out a galaxy mani. I opted out of that day on my challenge. I suck! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You'll have to try it sooner or later! ;) It's not so bad, I promise!

      Delete
  5. This look great! It's the farthest think from a fail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm happy with these, but my first attempt was just... *shudders* >.<

      Delete
  6. This is an amazing galaxy, by the way your nail beds are SO NICE :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.