Friday, November 9, 2012

The Lazy 15 Challenge Day 4: Water Marble AKA My Watery Grave

Hey y'all.

Ugh.

Ughhh!!!!

Allow me to explain.

Water marbling isn't hard! At least it shouldn't be. The process is relatively simple, as long as you have everything you need set out and you're not in a rush. All you need is nail polish, a cup of room-temperature filtered water, a cuticle stick/toothpick/pokey object, and optional tape and paper towels. And some patience.

Let's see if you can guess which of these ingredients I didn't have.

It's pretty obvious that you can't do water marbling without nail polish, something to draw a design with (pokey object), and a container of water. What's less obvious is that your water has to be PERFECT.

No cold water, no tap water, no hot water. Room. Temperature. Filtered. Water.

Have you guessed my problem yet?

Yeah. If you don't have the right water, it can keep your polish from spreading out in the water. The wrong temperature can cause the polish to dry instantly. Sometimes the polish just sinks to the bottom of the cup in a single droplet.

Luckily for me I at least had plenty of patience while working on this mani. After my practice last night, I was able to get something done today that didn't look awful. But I don't think I'll be doing this again any time soon.

Today's marble mani was made with Sinful Colors Snow Me White and Fig, and Essie Shine of the Times. It ended up looking pretty... festive.

Peppermint Ribbon Marble




Even though Fig is a magenta polish, I think the Essie turned it into a festive red. The resulting striped pattern reminds me of peppermint sticks (candy canes) or peppermint pillow candies. If I had the patience to keep trying, I'd want all of my fingers to look like my ring finger. It looks the most like a candy cane!

Apologies for the messy and dry cuticles btw. I've been feeling sick today so I just couldn't be bothered. Also I'm about ready to take this marble off anyway! I only did four fingers because I knew I wouldn't be keeping this on long. 


Enjoy your weekend! I'll try to get some swatches posted tomorrow as they are long overdue. :(

Also, thank you everyone for all of your wonderful comments! You honestly make my day every time I read them. :) Much love!

-Fitzy




22 comments:

  1. I love it!! Now I want a candy cane :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I'm ready for the holidays already! Give me winter :D

      Delete
  2. I think it turned out wonderfully! It's quite festive!!
    I know everyone says that you're suppose to use filtered water but I never do and I only have a problem when the water gets too cold. Maybe one day I'll try filtered water just to see if I notice a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You know, I think that might have been my problem. I tried so many different kinds of polish and filtered water, but maybe it was just too cold! It's been cold in my apartment lately. :P

      Delete
  3. I hate water marbling, it just doesn't work for me no matter what type of water I use!! Yours turned out great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D I was definitely not looking forward to today ahah

      Delete
  4. I love how it turned out. Mmmm, candy canes :D
    If there's one form of nail art I won't bother to give another chance, that's water marbling. I lack patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I admit it looks quite tasty. But water marbling is not my favorite. :P

      Delete
  5. Your manicure looks gorgeous!
    And the main reason why I never tried this technique is I'll never gather all needed items! Who the heck actually filters water to do a manicure? well, certainly not me. I don't even have the patience to tape, and go free handed just to "have it quickly" LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D

      I took filtered water from my fridge and let it sit out overnight, but it still didn't work! lol.

      Delete
  6. This looks great!! Lovin the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Christmas-y though! I haven't tried a candy cane in my life, but i really want some now :D
    Hmm...i used tap water and it worked quite well, i didn't get even targets circles, but it did spread well. And gods know city water in Moscow is terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm you should try one! They are just so minty and sugary. :3

      My "targets" ended up very small due to the polish not spreading out much, but I made it work. :P

      Delete
  8. It turned out so good!!! I giggled reading this though! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This came out really good! It does remind me of candy canes but that's not a bad thing. Looks like quite a few of us (myself included) dreaded this challenge! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, this was not a fun challenge day :P

      Delete
  10. this is awesomne!! you definately had more patients than me, i only did two nails per hand! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I desperately wanted to prove to myself that I could do it! xD Almost ran out of patience though. Thank you!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.