Friday, November 2, 2012

Essie Winter 2012 Leading Lady Collection: Butler Please and Leading Lady - Swatches and Review



Hey Y'all!

I'm here to wish you a happy November (a day late, I know), and let you know that I'm ready to start dishing out some Winter nail posts.

That's right, Halloween is barely over. You haven't even eaten all of your candy yet. And just like every supermarket in the country, I'm shoving October aside and preparing for the holidays way too early.

So to start off, I have two shades from the Essie Winter 2012 Leading Lady Collection. How fancy.

Butler Please





Butler Please is a beautiful bright blue creme that doesn't dry glossy. I wouldn't call it a matte, but it's definitely not very shiny! All pics are sans top coat.

Formula was smooth and creamy and it was opaque in two coats. I knew I would like this one just from the pictures I saw! I'm told this one is veeery close to Nails Inc. Baker Street and Sally Hansen Pacific Blue.

I unfortunately don't have any of them to compare myself, but I think it's safe to say that you don't need all three.

I did however snap a quick bottle comparison with Butler Please and Mesmerized.


I thought they would be more similar, but they are VERY different. The picture doesn't show it that well but these are nowhere near the same shade of blue. I like them both just as much though!

Leading Lady





I cannot properly express my frustrations with photographing this polish. I honestly think these pictures are pretty unflattering; the beautiful sparkliness of Leading Lady just didn't translate into photos. >.< But I tried!

Leading Lady is a super rich red-berry jelly with small silver glitter. It dries with a bumpy texture so I gave it one thick coat of Gelous; it probably could use more than that. I can't remember how many coats this took... Maybe two to three? I remember I accidentally did too thin of a coat on my pinkie so it needed a third coat, but this polish is actually very pigmented. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but the red jelly is so rich it looks almost black in the bottle!

In case you're wondering, yes, Leading Lady is pretty similar to Essie Ruby Slippers. But they are not dupes! Leading Lady is a much darker, cooler, more "raspberry" ish red. It also has more glitter. Of course, this is just my opinion from pictures I've seen! I suggest you look up a comparison and decide for yourself whether or not you want both.

For my review...

What I liked:

  • The formula on both polishes was great. No streaking, no dragging, and I was pleasantly surprised with how opaque Leading Lady is. Butler Please was pretty much perfect.
  • The colors are beautiful.
  • Leading Lady is especially Christmas-y. I'm pretty sure I'll be wearing it during the holidays.
What I didn't like:
  • Butler Please, while very pretty, is an easily-dupable shade in my opinion.

That's about it! I feel it's worth mentioning that I didn't think the two reds in the collection were worth picking up, but the turquoise creme and the other glitter looked very pretty. Overall, I'm glad I picked out these two. Though I have to say if I already owned Pacific Blue, I probably wouldn't have bought the Essie.

Well, that's all I've got! I still have a Lazy 15 post to put together later, so keep an eye out for that. :)

-Fitzy

12 comments:

  1. Leading lady looks gorgeous. I'm not a fan of blues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm I love bright blues. To each their own though! :)

      Delete
  2. I love both of these but Butler Please must be mine TODAY! I am loving the vibrant blue with a Satin Finish! Sexay!

    I agree that Leading Lady is easily dupable, but who can resist a sexy red glitter, right? Great post. I've been wanting to see these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss go get it! Or one like it! Lol

      Delete
  3. I kind of want Butler Please now. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Butler please. I agree it is a very common colour. Gorgeous though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good bright blue, so I'm happy I have it! Even if there is a cheaper alternative. ;P

      Delete
  5. Butler Please.... ordering it now!!!
    Hugs, Z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the rubbery look of Butler Please! gorgeous swatches!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.