Saturday, November 10, 2012

Darling Diva Polish: A Christmas Story Collection - Swatches and Review

Hey y'all!

First off, how are you? Is you okay? Is you? *ahem*

I mean, I hope you're doing well this fine evening. I sure am. I'm full of pizza and pumpkin pie, and ready to share some swatches that are loooooooong overdue.

I have two polishes from Darling Diva's 2012 holiday collection, which was designed based on the movie A Christmas Story. I don't know if you've seen it, but it's a classic Christmas movie! I've personally only seen in once, but I thought it was hilarious. It's actually my brother's favorite movie, so I got him a set of A Christmas Story drinking glasses for his birthday last year. :P

On to the show! I mean, er, swatches!

Sheer Poetry




The first polish I have is called Sheer Poetry, and it's a bright green polish with big red square glitter and medium-sized red holo glitter, and it has a linear holgraphic finish!!!! 


I KNOWW!!!

Since the base was a lighter yellow-green, I layered it over a darker green to give it a more Christmassy feel. Pictured is two coats of Sheer Poetry over Essie Going Incognito. The formula was great, but the glitter was just a little challenging. Application required a little bit of dabbing combined with normal application.

The holographic finish is pretty strong, and veeeeeeeery beautiful. I see myself wearing this on Christmas day, along with a cheesy Christmas sweater. This polish is the bees knees, y'all. I freakin' love it.

Close-ups:




















Bottle shots:





















Triple Dog Dare





Ahhh, Triple Dog Dare. Named for the famous "flagpole scene" in A Christmas Story. I had to give myself a slap on the forehead for not getting the reference right away! (Carrie had to explain it to me)

In case you need a refresher (or haven't seen the film), here's a little clip for ya.


Now, the polish itself is quite lovely. It's a sheer multichrome base full of medium purple hex glitter and medium turquoise holo hex glitter. The base is a sheer blue with a pinkish shimmer that shifts to a pinkish-orange in the right light.

Since it is so sheer, I layered it over two coats of Essie Borrowed and Blue, though I can't remember whether I used three coats or two. :( The light blue works pretty well as a base, but this polish is such an interesting layering polish that I'm eager to try it over a few different bases.

Formula was good. Not as easy as Sheer Poetry, but not super challenging! This one did have a pretty strong smell though. Nothing I couldn't handle! :P

Close-up:


Bottle Shot:


I think that about does it! Be sure to check out Darling Diva Polish on Etsy and Facebook! In her shop you'll find a variety of handmade polish ranging from $8.00-$12.00, in a variety of colors and finishes. Her holographic polish is especially beautiful and unique. 

There are more swatches out there if you'd like to see the rest of the collection. The whole thing is pretty spectacular in my humble opinion. :) So I advise you do some googling, or just take a look on the Darling Diva facebook page! I do have one other DD polish to review, but I'll be posting that separately from these two, since it's not a Christmas polish. So expect that soon! (Dare I say tomorrow even? O:)

Much love.

Fitzy

The products in this post were sent for review. All opinions are my own.

15 comments:

  1. OOOH I love them both! But the first is my favorite - I'm a sucker for holos. And as always, your swatches are fab :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely a sucker for holos as well... >.<

      Delete
  2. These look much better on the nail than in the bottle. I really like the green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I kind of thought the same thing. Really, these are much more spectacular in real life. The picture absolutely do not do them justice!

      Delete
  3. The green is EXTREMELY Christmas-y =D Love em both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! It's my fave for sure. :)

      Delete
  4. The first one looks like Christmas in a bottle.

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm-hmmmm! :D Perfect for Christmas morning IMO.

      Delete
  5. Cute glitters! I really like Triple Dog Dare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D wish I could have captured more of the color shift in that one. It's really interesting to look at, and very pretty.

      Delete
  6. Just found your blog and I must say your nails and hands look fantastic! Absolutely perfect! And of course Sheer Poetry is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you! :3 Thanks for reading; I'm glad you like the polish!

      Delete
  7. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.... sheer poetry is freaking fantastic. Carrie is awesome. And your swatches, omg *o*

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.