Saturday, October 6, 2012

Get Ready For Some N00dz

Naked nails, that is! ...Keep your mind out of the gutter. :P

I'm feeling really good about my recent nail growth, so I kind of want to show off my (nearly) naked nails. I just put on base coat because I'm about to start swatching, and then I figured I should just snap a few pictures of my nails without polish before I forget.

I'll show my left hand first, which is my swatching hand... I call it my "modeling" hand. (jokingly) I'm going to show my right hand too, but fair warning, it looks pretty ridiculous next to my lefty.

I've mentioned before that I'm an art major and I do a lot of work with my right hand, so I keep my nails much shorter than the nails on my left hand. Also I'm right handed anyway and it bothers me when my nails get in the way of me doing stuff. Also my right hand is totes naked.

Here's my left hand:


I know my nails are a little stained, but I figure in the nail blogging world that's nothing to be ashamed of. However I am wearing Essie Grow Stronger base coat, which is a milky sheer colour so it hides the staining a teensy bit. ;) (Also I feel like my whites are oddly shaped. Am I just crazy?)


I don't think I've ever had this much free edge... I've never been able to grow my nails out without them breaking or peeling until recently.

I gave my nails a five or six week break a while ago before starting to get back into blogging, and after my break was over and I had grown out all of my splits and breaks I started to pay much more attention to nail care. It's really made a difference. I use a glass file now and shape my nails carefully, and I switch around base coats a lot so my nails get different kinds of nourishment.

Okay get ready, here's my right hand:


I know, I know... They're not THAT bad. But go ahead and scroll back up to the first picture if you want to get a load of the difference in length. :P


It may look a little silly when I post pictures of both hands, but so far nobody has noticed in person that my nails are different lengths. Sometimes when I try to point it out to people they still can't tell!

Am I the only one who keeps their nails at different lengths on both hands? I just do it because it makes my life easier without bothersome nails on my right hand, and I like having long pretty nails to swatch polish on, because they look nice and they're so easy to paint.

-Fitzy

22 comments:

  1. You have rather good looking nails, especially for a man, but you should take care of the staining. A bit of buffing should do the trick.
    Nails on my left hand are never the same length as those on my right one. I keep my right hand nails a bit longer because I use them to scoop beads.
    Oh, and I have to say how great it is to see a guy who has prettier and better painted nails than some of the girls from the nail blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the compliments! :)

      Something I didn't mention above is that I try very hard to buff my nails as little as possible; my nails are actually a little thin and I don't want to weaken them with buffing. I've noticed it definitely makes a difference when I buff them, and it's not good! :(

      My partner's nails are very thick in contrast to mine. He can pretty much buff them as much as he likes and they stay strong! I just don't think I have nails like other men.

      Delete
    2. That's a completely different case then. I don't know if you're familiar with loodie loodie loodie's blog. She has the best advice on nail care and she even did a whole series of articles on nail strengtheners. You might find them useful. Or not, if you're happy with your nails, of course.

      Delete
    3. No I haven't seen her blog! I should take a look then. I would love it if my nails were a little stronger.

      Delete
  2. I'm so OCD that if I need to chop one nail, they're all going. Looking at your pics, I can understand that it'd be hard for people to tell when they're coloured =P I never noticed!
    Lately my VNL has been weird shaped too, so I wouldn't worry about that... It gets covered anyway =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner has such perfect whites on his nails without even trying that I couldn't help but wonder why mine look so odd in comparison!

      Delete
  3. Looking great! I sometimes have my nails a bit longer on my left than my right, but the difference is a matter of a mm or so so no one knows but me. I can't really grow my nails out with my job (field biologist)so mine are always short. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol the difference on my nails is way beyond a millimeter! xD

      Delete
  4. I love your nails Fitzy. My nail whites are sometimes uneven too but I woud just use an orange stick to sweep under them. The nails on my right hand are always shorter due to using it more. They always break but I hate filing the left hand to match as I love painting long nails, so I mostly leave them long. I'm not too bothered about different lengths on one hand either... or shapes, but I guess that's obvious with having the stiletto challenge going on! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care so much about matching nail lengths... I don't think I want to experiment with nail shapes though haha! But I like your little Biletto... it's interesting to read and see the pics. :)

      Delete
  5. From the title, I figured it was going to be about any of the many many "nude" eyeshadow palettes that are super popular lately. Naked nails are a pretty big deal for a lot of beauty bloggers though, so I totally understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I don't usually wear nude eyeshadow (or any eyeshadow for that matter) so I don't think that will be showing up on my blog any time soon. :P

      Delete
  6. Wow your nails look good nude!! I don't think I could ever show mine off because they are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more stained then yours! :( lol also I wanted to let you know that I'm nominating you for the Versatile Blogger Award!!! :) Check out this post for more info!

    http://pinkandpolishednails.blogspot.com/2012/10/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you finally get your nails to stop peeling? What have you done differently? I have tried everything.
    My free edge/white part is uneven too, I guess everyone's is a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I started using a glass file, which is much gentler than other files and doesn't tear apart the tips of my nails.

      I also make sure to give my nails "breaks" where I'll leave my polish on longer than I want to so that I don't use so much acetone on them. (I would prefer to change my polish a few times a day, but that much polish remover isn't good. :P)

      I'm not sure what else helped... I use two different nourishing base coats (Essie Rock Solid and Essie Grow Stronger) and I've been eating healthier foods and taking multivitamins. I think every little bit counts.

      But what works for some people doesn't work for everyone. You might need to just find the right combination of things that will help your nails stop peeling. :/

      Delete
    2. Forgot to add -- I switch off my nourishing base coats and sometimes even just use a regular base coat instead of a nourishing one.

      Delete
    3. Do you use glycerin in your acetone? It helps moisturize, I love it! It's exactly the same as what's in Zoya + remover.

      Delete
    4. No, I just use regular acetone remover that has vitamin E oil in it! It helps moisturize a little bit. :D

      Delete
  8. Hahahah my nails on my right hand look worse than on my left "modeling" hand too! XD Usually a different length as well!
    I think your nails look pretty great, and my whites do that too. Sometimes I run a nail under the free edges to "shape" the weirdness a bit. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference in length is getting more and more pronounced... xD I need to file 'em down a bit now.

      Delete
  9. My nails are pretty much exactly like this! Only my right hand just won't stop peeling so I have to keep filing it down. I've been using Nailtiques Formula 2 and it seems to be working so far, the difference in length is getting better. Hopefully my right hand nails will be as strong as my lefty.

    Another thing I'm worried about is that I'm also right handed. I constantly scratch myself as it is with my left, if I had both hands the same length I fear it would look like a cat got me o_O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way! Even if I COULD grow my right hand nails as long as my left... I think I would put people in danger. xD

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.