Friday, October 5, 2012

Darling Diva Polish: Release the Kraken, Pumpkin Queen, and Baby Got Back - Swatches and Review


Hello my fluffy little chickadees,

How are you this afternoon? In case you're wondering, I am quite well, except for the fact that I am very behind on schoolwork, so this art major has got to get his ass into gear and start drawing up a storm!

I'm also way behind on another thing: Swatching! D:

This post is so beyond overdue, I just... I can't even. :(

Carrie from Darling Diva Polish sent me these to review a few weeks ago and I'm just now getting around to posting this. Bad blogger! Bad!

Anyway, let's get this indie glitter polish party started.

Release the Kraken (V2)


Release the Kraken is a white jelly polish with all kinds of multicolored glitter scattered throughout. According to Darling Diva Polish, this polish is filled with "rainbow matte glitters," and "bright midnight blue metallic glitter," along with what I think is some translucent glitter which adds a REALLY cool effect to this polish.



Because it has a jelly finish, it is sheer, but very buildable. On its own it can reach full opacity at around 5 coats, and it has a very soft and dimensional look. I honestly prefer layering this polish though, as five coats is just a bit much for me!

Release the Kraken is layered here over one coat of Sinful Colors Snow Me White for a more bold look. I applied two coats that were a combination of actual normal coats of polish and careful dabbing.

This polish is seriously awesome. I love the combination of glitters in it, and I loooove that it's a jelly so I can try layering over other colors. I was thinking light blue or green next. :)

Do you like my silly hand shots? I'm trying to branch out!

Here's a close-up shot of the glitters:


Bottle shots (Be sure to click on these!):

 

Pumpkin Queen


This is Darling Diva's Halloween 2012 Polish. It is spectacular.



Pumpkin Queen is a very festive mix of orange glitter, orange holo glitter, and various multicolored matte glitters, including huge purple hexes, and green crescent moons. This polish definitely requires a "dabbing" instead of normal application, and I am so glad I was able to fish out two(!!) of those big purple hexes. I "dabbed" on one coat over Sally Hansen Parrot for these swatches. I also tried it over Sally Hansen Petrol for a full mani, and it really looks awesome over dark colors, especially for Halloween!

Did I mention these are the first indie polishes I have ever tried? This much dabbing and fishing was quite an experience. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any of those crescent moon glitters to make an appearance, but they are visible in the bottle shots.



Close-ups:


Bottle shots (click on these so you can see the moons):



Baby Got Back


Baby Got Back is a very light purple jelly polish full of purple and lilac glitters. The thing that I absolutely loooooooooooooooooove about this polish is the lilac glitter. Why? Because it's holographic!

I tried to take some blurry shots to capture that holo sparkle:



These pictures are totally not color accurate by the way. BGB is very purple, and I layered it over China Glaze Bizarre Blurple, which is another purple polish with a blue shimmer. My camera couldn't handle all the purple and blue sparkliness on my nails, so it just gave up and gave me blue. :(

The formula on this polish was a little different from the other two. It required pretty much no dabbing at all; I was able to apply single, fairly even coats on each nail.


In lieu of close-up shots, here is my attempt at a color accurate picture:


It might be a little more purple than that in real life, but that is pretty darn close.

Bottle shots:

Blurry to show holo glitter

Overall, I really loved these polishes. I've never tried anything like them before, especially Release the Kraken. If I had to pick a favorite, it'd be Baby Got Back. That holo glitter really stole my heart! I'm such a sucker for anything holo.

The formula on all three was great. Not too thick, but holds all of that glitter very well. They all dry with a glittery textured finish, so I topped each one with one or two coats of Gelous and a coat of Seche Vite.

If you check out the Darling Diva Polish store (which I highly recommend), you will find a variety of handmade glitter and holographic polishes. Prices range from $8-$12. I will definitely be going back for more in the future. :)

-Fitzy

The products in this post were sent for review.

41 comments:

  1. I love these! My favorite is definitely Baby Got Back, I totally need that one! Gorgeous swatches my dear ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darlin' :)

      I'm dying to wear BGB again but I still have more stuff to swatch. :( Lol

      Delete
  2. Looking at the 3 bottle shots together I didn't think I would like Baby Got Back the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I! I actually swatched it last and then realized it's totes awesome. O.O

      Delete
  3. Oooh you're an art major!! that's really interesting!
    Kraken is pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! It is interesting... And sometimes not in a good way. @_@ Art is stressful!

      Delete
  4. Baby Got Back is stunning! Gorgeous swatches and god, your nails are looking FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually have a naked nails post planned for later because I think my nails are doing quite well. ;)

      Delete
  5. Love Baby Got Back !! Fantastic swatches :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your nails are fabulous!! I really love BGB <3 *new follower :D*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for following! :)

      Delete
  7. I love love your swatches and tit nails are fantastic! for your big hexes and crescent glitters try keeping the bottle upside down! it'll let the big heavy glitters float to the top so you can get them onto your amazing nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted! Thank you for the tip!

      Delete
    2. BAHAHAHA I just died when reading, "tit nails". Hahahaha I'm really 5 years old :P

      Delete
  8. haha your nails. auto correct got the best of me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It so hard to believe this is a male's hand! Your hand is so pretty! *Envy*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD Thank you! I do like having pretty nails.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous! Great swatches, and I love your nail shape. Release the Kraken is my favourite out of these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. O: They are far from perfect in my mind, but thank you so much!

      Delete
  12. holy smokes!!! im already ur fan!!!
    do drop by my blog...
    loving the swatches..
    (may i steal ur nails?:p)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely checking out your blog right now.

      (Please don't steal my nails, that sounds painful! LOL)

      Delete
  13. New follower here! First of all, it's great to see a male blogger out there, second of all, I'm way too jealous of your gorgeous nails - they are perfect! Great swatches too :]

    ReplyDelete
  14. First time visitor :) now a subscriber. You have beautiful nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :3 I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  15. Fitzy I love all of these!!!!! Amazing swatches!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. New Follower! Your swatches Rock and I'd kill to have your nail beds. Thanks for adding BGB to my lemming list. <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome nail! I love the swatches, especially Baby Got Back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Yeah, it's my favorite from the bunch for sure.

      Delete
  18. Wow! I just found your blog on a group on Facebook, you have absolutely gorgeous nails and cuticles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, thank you for following! Where did you find me? :D

      Delete
  19. Your nails are looking fantastic:). I love Darling Diva Polishes - have a stack of them now. Carrie is one talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure is! I'm officially hooked on big chunks of glitter.

      Delete
  20. :O!!!! Baby Got Back looks AMAZING!!!! *drool drool* You've got mad painting skills!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.