Sunday, October 14, 2012

China Glaze Wicked Collection: Swatches and Review (Plus Video Swatch!)



I have a great big hooooooooooooooowdyyyyyyyyyy for the bunch of you that have recently followed me! :D Let's get the mushy stuff out of the way first...

Thank you all so much for reading and checking out my pictures... It means a lot to me. Seriously! I've never been this obsessed with anything else in my entire life. I believe I have finally found my lifelong hobby, and even though I'd keep doing it whether anyone read it or not, I'm so glad I'm not just blogging to myself here. ;)

Since I recently hit 100 followers, I definitely plan on having a giveaway! I'm not quite prepared for it YET, but I will be very soon.

In the meantime I have more swatches and reviews to share with y'all, and today I even have a video swatch that includes... *gasp* my voooice! Whoa, I did not mean to type that many o's in there. Oh well. They're staying there now.

Anyway, as I'm sure you've already noticed, today's swatch & review post is the China Glaze Wicked Collection. This is CG's Halloween collection for this year. I only picked up four of them, because I bought one on its own and then bought three more in a little set that came with a bottle of Ghoulish Glow. Will I be buying the rest? I suppose you'll find out after reading my review? ;)

Bizarre Blurple






I have a problem with these pictures... Bizarre Blurple is purple based, but my camera apparently couldn't take the blue/purple combo and just gave me blue. FAIL. I attempted to color-correct a bit but they're still way too blue. Nails in Nippon has a color accurate swatch of this one. Moving on...

Bizarre Blurple is a deep purple base absolutely saturated with bright blue shimmer. It was dense and almost completely opaque in one coat. I did two to cover up thin spots. No TC.

Close-up shot:


Roguish Red






Roguish Red is a red-orange creme. (Maybe a "crelly?" It seems in between to me) It's much more orange than red in my opinion; I held it up next to a bottle of red polish and a bottle of orange polish, and it was pretty obvious which way this one leans. 

It was opaque in two coats (with a tiny bit of VNL) and damn bright against my skin. It's almost neon... it definitely makes me look paler. Pics are with no top coat; I love how glossy Roguish Red is.

Cast A Spell





Love love loooove this one. And I'm not usually a big fan of dark/black shades!

Cast A Spell looks to be either a black or blackened green base full of antique gold glitter (sort of a greenish gold). There is also a touch of bright green and red sparkling in there if you look at it in the right light. If you look carefully at the blurry shots below you can see a bit of the color variation.



This one was opaque in one coat on most fingers. I considered doing two for good measure, but it really didn't need it! No top coat.


Glitter Goblin

No TC

No TC

So... Some people were disappointed with Glitter Goblin. I'm not entirely sure why. I mean, I don't think I'm going to win any hearts with my pictures of it, but damn I love this glitter!

Orange and holographic hex glitters in a clear base... I expect a polish named after goblins to be green, but it's orange for Halloween so that's good enough I guess.

Close up:

No TC

These first three pictures are three coats of Glitter Goblin alone, and the next ones are all with two coats of Gelous. After that I'll show you how it looks layered over the other shades from the collection, and then the video swatch is at the very end. xD

With Gelous

With Gelous

With Gelous

With Gelous

Blurred to show holo

With Gelous
Layering

Bizarre Blurple

Roguish Red

Cast a Spell
Video Swatch


And now we get down to the nitty gritty.

What I liked:
  • The formula on all three was excellent. No streaking, dragging, or globbiness. Not thick, and not too thin at all. They all flowed smoothly onto the nail and were all very opaque. The only exception was Glitter Goblin.
  • The set of four polishes that I bought was a sweet fuckin deal at Sally's. It was ten bucks for about twenty-five dollars worth of polish.
  • The colors. I basically was not expecting to like all of them as much as I did!
  • The variety of finishes and colors was good.
  • The names are pretty cute as well.
What I didn't like:
  • The brushes! Ughkdjsghkghjkd! I always have a hard time with China Glaze brushes, and these were no exception. Cast a Spell had an unusually fluffy brush, and Roguish Red's brush had some uneven hairs poking out. Bizarre Blurple was better than those two, and Glitter Goblin had the best brush. That one gave me no issues.
  • Glitter Goblin is a little sheer, but not bad. At three coats I still have some uneven spots, but it doesn't bother me enough to add another coat.
Overall, this collection is a win for me. If I had to pick a favorite, it'd be Bizarre Blurple. (I just love purple polish!) If I can, I'd love to get the other two shades. Or maybe just Immortal, the gray one. 

Thanks for reading. ;)

-Fitzy

18 comments:

  1. Nice swatches. I love Cast A Spell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a problem with China Glaze brushes so it's interesting that you don't like them. I do find they gloop a lot of polish if I'm not careful about wiping them down though. I think my favourite is Cast a Spell and Glitter Goblin looks much better layered than on its own... The one I really want though is Make a Spectacle, which I can't find ANYWHERE =(
    Great post! Thanks for the swatchess =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I always have such bad experiences with their brushes! :( Their colors are great though so I can't say I care THAT much... lol

      Thank you! :D

      Delete
  3. I love the video! And the polish :D Awesome swatches

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog, and so jealous of your nails. :) You have to get Make A Spectacle and layer it over Cast A Spell and Bizarre Blurple. Have.To. They are gorgeous together, and would look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) I'm still thinking about Make A Spectacle... xD Don't know if I'm lovin what I've seen online so far!

      Delete
  5. Your swatches are awesome, Rogueish Red looks great on you! Make a Spectacle and Immortal are great shades too, better pick them up for good measure ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My partner HATES it on me... xD Lol. We have pretty different taste in polish so I'm not surprised.

      So far I've been unimpressed by swatches of Make a Spectacle... :/ But I love gray polish so I'm definitely getting Immortal!

      Delete
    2. You MUST get Immortal, it's gorgeous! :D Loved that you did a video review, keep doing them. If you didn't seem so sweet and lovable, I'd hate you for those gorgeous hands and nails. :P

      Delete
    3. Lol, thank you Melanie. xD I'll keep doing video swatches, but mainly on glitter polish.

      Delete
  6. Great swatches and so glad to see the video! I saw on twitter you were nervous about your voice but the whole video is absolutely precious <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! >.< I'm glad you think I'm precious hehe <3

      Delete
  7. I just bought Bizarre Blurple yesterday, I'm in love with that color! I'm a "blurple" fanatic, I have so many...but this one just glows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! It's so much prettier on the nail than in the bottle. :)

      Delete
  8. I got the fabulous four pack from Sallys and used Bizarre Blurple first. I love love love that color, and got sooo many compliments. I must say I agree about Make a Spectacle. I have CG Snow Globe and it is similar...I thought I'd love it but it is kinda meh overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel about it! Just meh. :/ Bizarre Blurple is definitely a winner though. :)

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.