Monday, September 17, 2012

Excellent Extravaganza of Galaxy Mani Madness! Featuring Myself and Alexis Leigh

Hey y'all!

Let's be real. I'm from Texas, so do you imagine me with a southern accent?

Sorry, random thought totally not related to today's post!

Today's post is, I must say, pretty awesome. It's excellent in fact! Today is all about galaxy nails, and BOY do I have a lot of galaxy nails to show you! I have three different galaxy manis from myself, and three from Alexis Leigh of XOXO Alexis Leigh.

For the two of us, today is Galaxy Nails Day. It's our Excellent Extravaganza of Galaxy Mani Madness. Be sure to check out Alexis's post on her blog. It's completely awesome. :3

I started practicing these last Wednesday, and didn't stop until this weekend. They're so simple, and with just a little trial and error, galaxy nails look awesome with very little effort involved. All I used was polish and torn-up bits of makeup sponge.

I used a lot of different polishes, so I'll save that list for last. (With pictures! I don't know about you, but I am a very visual person.)

Let's start with my first try:


Not bad. A little overdone, I think. I sponged on too much white, which didn't leave enough dark background for some sparkly stars. It still looked neat, but I kept trying.

Number two:



This one was tricky to photograph since I used quite a bit more glitter. I really like the result of this one! It definitely has that outer-space look I was going for.

But here's my final piece:




This is what I'm talking about! I feel like I got what I wanted with this mani, but it was soooo hard to photograph!


I tried a few different shots, all indoors because we had absolutely NO SUN this weekend. (This is pre-me-figuring-out-my-lighting btdubs)

Close-ups of my three favorite nails:



Stellar. B)

Here are the lists of polishes I used for each mani (as you can see they get more and more complex):


Sally Hansen Petrol
Sinful Colors Snow Me White
OPI Clubbing Til Sunrise
Sally Hansen DVD
Fitzy Franken No Edge
Sally Hansen Rock Candy


Fitzy Franken Galaxy
SC Snow Me White
OPI Clubbing Til Sunrise
Wet N Wild Disturbia
Fitzy Franken No Edge
SH Rock Candy
Essie Set in Stones


SH Petrol
SC Snow Me White
Color Club Almost Famous
Pure ICE Jamaica Me Crazy
WNW Disturbia
OPI Clubbing Til Sunrise
Essie Trophy Wife
SC Hottie
Essie Set in Stones



All of these were topped with Seche Vite and/or Sally Hansen Mega Shine top coat.

My method/strategy for making these manis generally followed this pattern:

  1. Base coat and base color (navy or black)
  2. First sponging of white
  3. (only on the third mani) Sponging of yellow and pink
  4. Sponging of shimmery orange, purple, and teal (Clubbing Til Sunrise, DVD/Disturbia, No Edge/Trophy Wife)
  5. If necessary, shape edge of galaxy with black/navy polish
  6. Dab on small glitter
  7. If necessary, sponge on extra white in the center, over the first coat of glitter
  8. Dab on larger glitter (Essie Set in Stones)
  9. 2-3 coats of top coat
And there you have it! That's it for my ridiculousness. Don't forget to check out Alexis's galaxy nails post too! I had a lot of fun doing these, and I'm really glad we got to do this "twinsie" post. :D

-Fitzy

11 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh maaaaa goodnesssss! I love all of these! I like them better than all of mine, so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks... :3 I think yours are out of this world.

      ...I'm sorry, I couldn't stop myself. >.<

      Delete
  2. OMG that's am amazing creation. Absolutely love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Each one better than the last!! I love the look of galaxy nails :) And to answer your random question... I think I knew you were southern from the way you wrote some words, like ya'll on other posts :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!

      Lol I don't make it a big secret that I'm a Texan. I just wonder if people think I'm a reeeeeeeal southern boy, if you know what I mean. 'Cause I'm really not! At least I don't think so. O.o

      Delete
  4. Love the second one, the glitter really pops & looks glowy!

    P.s. texans rock ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn right ;)

      I got the lighting juuuust right for that second mani, so I really got to show off the glitter. I love how it turned out.

      Delete
  5. Hey! I just discovered your blog and I love it! :) I personally ADORED the second try!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the second was my favorite too, looking back on it. :)

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.