Monday, July 9, 2012

Maybelline Color Show: Orange Fix and Pedal to the Metal - Swatches and Review


Hey y'all! I'm having fun with these new Color Show polishes; I picked these up at Target for about 3 bucks each, and I know I want to try as many as I can. So expect more at a later date!

Here is Orange Fix:


I didn't realize exactly how neon this was until I swatched it.

In the store I thought, "Wow that's pretty bright." In the car I said, "Oh wow that's even brighter than I thought!" And then when I swatched it today I was blinded by how bright it truly is! I think my picture comes pretty close to how it looks irl, but seriously this polish is neon as fuck. My camera was having trouble with it. It's so bright I had to set my white balance to fluorescent!

...I'm kidding.

I used three coats for the swatch above, and I could still see some nail line so I figured it would probably work better over white.

Here's two coats of Orange Fix over two coats of Sinful Colors Snow Me White:


It looked pretty awesome over white. Either way, pretty cool polish. If you're into neon polish and don't already have a good orange, this one is great for the price.

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention that Orange Fix dries semi-matte! The above pictures are with Seche Vite top coat.

Next is Pedal to the Metal:


I actually passed up on Sonia Kashuk Smoke and Mirrors for this one, and I wish I hadn't. This took a whopping FIVE coats before I took a picture, and even then I still have some VNL. Disappointing. From what I've read, Smoke and Mirrors is a two-coater and an excellent siver foil. I've actually wanted Smoke and Mirrors for a while, and I'll be getting that one next time I get the chance.

I thought maybe some layering would help this polish out, so I tried two coats over black. It's not so great.


I didn't even bother with top coat, because I knew I'd be taking this off right away.

So yeah, one of these was pretty neat, and the other was... disappointing. It's not a total dud though! It has excellent coverage and would probably be great for layering. But yeah, I won't be wearing it on its own any time soon.

I still want to try more of these, even though these two weren't the best. We'll see what I can pick up soon!

I'm out!

-Fitzy

2 comments:

  1. You have pretty nails. I hate you. D:

    The silver one looks gorgeous! Was it a pain to tale off though? I recently tried Revlon's one on a whim and it was insanely hard to erase. (My fault for not using a base I suppose.).. It was a pretty even two-coater though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I don't really think my nails are all that, so that's nice to hear. ^.^

      I don't remember if I had trouble taking off the silver... All I can remember is "five coats!" Totally not worth it. I need a good two coat foil silver, maybe the Revlon one will do. :D

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.