Thursday, July 5, 2012

Maybelline Color Show: Denim Dash - Swatch & Review

Hey y'all! Today I have just a regular old swatch and review to share. This is a fairly new one--one of the new Maybelline Color Show polishes that was recently released. Pretty exciting stuff! :P

This polish is called Denim Dash and it's one of the "Denims" (obviously) that Maybelline released. It's a medium denim blue with a silver/light blue shimmer. Take a look:


Definitely looks like denim to me. This polish actually dries matte or semi-matte, but I topped it with SV because... Well why not?!


But I was also curious to see what it would look like completely "matted" so I went for it. Here it is with Essie Matte About You:



I really freakin love the look of matte polish. It just looks so interesting and different to me. I know it's not a new look by any means, but it still isn't what most people expect from nail polish.

However, I do think that Denim Dash looks just as good (if not better) with a glossy finish. The glossy topcoat really adds a lot of depth to the polish, and makes the shimmer come alive. The matte finish makes Denim Dash look like... well, denim! It's like having a pair of jeans on my fingers. It's a little subdued for a blue, I think. Not boring, but it doesn't make a big statement. Which is unfortunate, because I love making a statement with my nails. ;P

As far as formula goes, this polish was excellent. I used two coats on all of my fingers, but I got away with just one coat on my thumbs and probably could have skipped the second coat on all of my nails if I really wanted to. I'm really impressed. I'm looking forward to picking up more of these Maybelline polishes. :)

Also I apologize for the state of my nails... They were in need of some TLC after I chopped them off with nail clippers instead of filing them, and my cuticles don't look spectacular in these pictures. Ugh. They look much better right now though. Time to get polishing!

-Fitzy

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, this is gorgeous! I've seen the display for these polishes a few times but, I never looked twice. But I think I need to go back for this. *drool*

    PS. I don't know see what you're talking about with your nails and cutilcles. How do you keep your cuticles so well behaved?? They look great. I'm so jealous. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't do much to my cuticles anymore actually. I used to cut them but then I learned that cutting them can cause infections and can otherwise just irritate your cuticles.

      Nowadays I just push them back before or after every other mani and moisturize them with Burt's Bees cuticle balm. It smells delicious and works quite well. I also occasionally scrub my hands and cuticles with a Bath & Body Works True Blue Spa sugar hand scrub (which also smells delicious). :) I've found that the more gently I treat my cuticles, the healthier they are.

      Delete
    2. Oh! I almost forgot! I almost always use a nail polis remover that has vitamin E in it because those tend to be gentler and don't leave my cuticles all dry

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I read all of them and I will definitely get back to you if you have any questions.